on Learning Skills (OWLS)
Outreach Workshops on Learning Skills (OWLS) are designed to help students develop as self-confident and efficient learners by introducing new study skills and strategies they can apply to their study routine.
We have two options for these workshop events:
- We come to your class or meeting, and facilitate an interactive and engaging presentation about the Academic Skills topic of your choice. Just put in a request!
- We host 5-10 all-campus events each semester, which any UNCG student is welcome to attend. The all-campus schedule is available at go.uncg.edu/aac_owls
What can attendees expect?
During our sessions, we incorporate a variety of learning modalities and facilitation strategies, such as discussions, activities, and group work. Our goal is to be engaging, helpful and motivating to attendees!
All our sessions have specific learning goals and a short pre/post assessment to determine if we're meeting our objectives.
Typically each session is about 50 minutes long, though longer and shorter workshops can be arranged by request.
We would love to help you find answers!
- Call: 336-334-3878
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Chat: go.uncg.edu/aac
Request a Workshop
Before requesting a workshop, please read the requirements:
- Workshops should only be requested for UNCG students (courses and/or student groups).
- We ask for two weeks' notice on all standard topics, and at least three weeks for special topic requests.
- The requestor must be reasonably assured that 10 or more students will attend the requested event.
- OWLS can be requested for Fall, Spring, or Summer semesters, but not during the Final Exam periods.
- We do not facilitate workshops after 7:00 pm. Weekend workshops are only facilitated when presenters are available.
We reserve the right to cancel any workshop request that does not meet these requirements.
Additionally, for workshops that are facilitated in-person, we ask the requestor to ensure that a teaching station or projector is available for our use in the space.
Any questions can be directed to email@example.com or via phone call to 336-334-3878.
To request an OWLS, complete the request form:
Participants in this session learn about the Academic Achievement Center (AAC), including the services we provide and how to access those services. There is also discussion around what success is, why help-seeking is important to college students, and an opportunity for participants to ask questions.
Note: Available as either a 25-mini "mini workshop" or as a 50-minute workshop with an additional goal-setting activity.
Participants in this session engage in critical thinking about their study routines and learn new techniques they can use to improve their learning.
Participants in this session will explore ways to identify main ideas from readings and lectures and will have the opportunity to practice different note taking systems. They will also learn about different strategies for using their notes as study tools.
Participants in this session examine how their time is spent each week and consider ways to prioritize and set time management goals that speak to their individual needs.
Participants in this session will identify the main causes of procrastination and learn strategies to organize, prioritize, and complete their tasks.
Participants in this session will practice planning for an upcoming test and will explore different self-testing and test-anxiety-reducing strategies to improve their test performance.
If you have a topic that you would like the AAC to develop a workshop on, you can request a "special topic." Requests for topics not on this list (or requests that combine topics) are considered at the discretion of Academic Achievement Center, based on content and availability. We do our best to fulfill every request we receive and will work with you to prepare a session that meets your needs.