The Academic Achievement Center offers academic skills peer mentoring to students at UNCG for free, as a part of your tuition. You don't have to be in a particular course to take advantage of this service-- Academic Skills development applies to ANY class. However, you do need to be enrolled at the university.
Academic Skills is:
- Interactive and collaborative
- Facilitated as small-group sessions
- Personalized based on each student's interests and goals
- Conducted in-person in the lower level of the Jackson Library; online appointments via Zoom available by request.
What can Academic Skills services help me with?
Do you have questions?
We’re happy to answer them!
- Call us at 336-334-3878
- Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Chat with us at http://go.uncg.edu/aac
New for Spring 2023!
Academic Skills SMART Mentoring is piloting a program to offer course-specific peer mentoring for BIO-111 (Introduction to Biology).
Peer mentors are assigned to attend class and offer three sessions each week on study strategies and note taking approaches that fit with the course content.
This pilot program is being run in partnership with the Biology Department, and has been funded through an Innovations Grant by the Office of Strategic Innovations.
Getting Academic Skills Assistance
First, you'll need to schedule your initial appointment:
- Click the "Schedule an Appointment" button.
- Log in using your UNCG credentials
- In the "search for appointment" box, select "Non-Course" then "Academic Skills"
- Select the reason you'd like to meet with a peer mentor, and click "search."
- Choose your appointment time and then click "save"
Please feel free to schedule appointments for any of the academic skills areas that you feel will meet your needs.
Developing your Skills
Work with an Academic Skills peer mentor to refine your goals and discover useful strategies that work for you.
You can schedule a follow-up session with a mentor at any time to review goals or talk about new ways to sharpen your skills.
Students are encouraged to attend 3 or 4 sessions, depending on their needs and interests.
Academic Skills Policies
- Our scheduling platform allows you to book your initial intake appointment between 21 days and 12 hours prior to your session start time.
- If you need to cancel your appointment, please do so at least six hours in advance.
- You can cancel within the TracCloud scheduling platform by clicking the "x" next to the scheduled appointment.
- To reschedule, return to our scheduling platform and select a new appointment time.
- Please attend and arrive on time for your scheduled sessions.
- Sessions with no attendance will have a grace period of 10 minutes before ending.
- Inconsistent attendance or showing up repeatedly late will place a temporary hold on sessions to discuss better scheduling options.
- To get the most out of your session, be prepared to take notes, ask questions, and participate in group discussions and activities.
- Students who are not able to engage in all aspects of our sessions (i.e., texting during the session, or having poor internet connectivity for virtual sessions, etc.) will be asked to reschedule.